Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Raw Cacao Ice Cream

Since discovering the raw vegan coconut ice cream at our local health food store, I must admit, I've been going a little ice-cream crazy! When they were continuously sold out of these delicious tubs, I thought it was about time I tried making my own.  (Not to mention, Santa was also very good to me this year and gave me an ice cream maker for Christmas)

So here I present to you, raw cacao, chocolate ice cream! I poured the mixture into small heart shaped silicone moulds for something a little cuter in regards to presentation, but obviously this isn't necessary.

Makes approx 1L

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup raw cashew nuts
15 medjool dates
6 tbsps cacao powder
3 1/2 cups filtered water
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
Soak cashew nuts in a bowl of water for around 5 hours or overnight.

Once soaked, transfer the cashews to a high speed blender. Add the water and blend on high for around 45 seconds.
Add dates and blend for a further 30 seconds on high speed.
Add cacao powder, cinnamon and vanilla extract and blend on high for at least 60 seconds.
Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker, and make as per your ice cream makers instructions.
Transfer the ice cream to a large container and freeze until you're ready to eat :)
Thaw for about 20mins prior to eating.

I love making a quick chocolate sauce using raw cacao powder, coconut oil & honey, to drizzle over the top.

Coming up next will be my husband's creation - Raw Vanilla Ice Cream, which I must say, is probably even more delicious than this one  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment